INFORMATION AND LOGISTICS
The IMO-WMU joint International Academic Conference, taking place on 10 - 13 October 2022, will be a hybrid conference welcoming participants virtually and onsite in Malmö, Sweden.
Please find further information below on conference registration and general logistics for virtual and onsite attendance.
Please find the Participants Instructions Handbook here for further information about the Conference.
Virtual participation is available on 11 - 12 October 2022. The conference will be hosted in the form of a Zoom Webinar.
- Please register via the Conference Registration to receive Zoom details for online participation at the conference. Link to Eventbrite Registration Here.
- Online audience will be able to interact through the Zoom Q&A function and chatbox.
- The conference will be recorded.
Onsite participation is available on 10 - 13 October 2022 and registration is needed.
- Please register to receive details for onsite participation at the conference. Link to Eventbrite Registration Here.
- Kindly note that onsite participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs and bookings.
- VISA support letters can be provided upon request once registration has been completed and payment has been received.
REGISTRATION AND CHECK-IN
Conference registration is two-folded: Onsite & Online registration
- Registration: Participants who have registered online via the conference registration page are welcome to attend.
- Conference Check-in: Please check-in at the registration desk by the venue’s reception with your registration confirmation email and picture identification to receive your name badge and conference materials.
- Check-in Times:
- 11 October, 08:30 am CEST, at venue
- 12 October, 08:30 am CEST, at venue
- Conference Badge: For security purposes, please wear your assigned badge at all times during the conference to access the facilities and activities (incl. lunch).
The Conference will be held in a hybrid format; onsite and online. The venue will be the World Maritime University (WMU) in Malmö, Sweden in the Sasakawa Auditorium. Virtual participation will be available via Zoom Webinar.
211 18 Malmö
getting to The Venue
The World Maritime University (WMU) is located within walking distance (5 minutes) from Malmö Central station (Malmö C).
- Copenhagen (Kastrup) Airport: Copenhagen in Denmark is the closest international airport to Malmö and just a short train ride away from WMU. Please be informed that you need a picture identification at hand to cross the bridge to Malmö.
- Train from Copenhagen to Malmö: The train departs every 20 minutes from Copenhagen Airport to Malmö, and takes about 20 minutes. Malmö Central station (Malmö C) is the closest stop to WMU and the city centre. A one way train ticket costs 123 SEK and should be purchased before boarding the train, either on the Skånetrafiken App or in the arrival hall after Airport baggage claim and cleared immigration.
- Malmö (Sturup) Airport: Located about 30 km outside of Malmö in Sweden. You can take a taxi to your destination of choice, or ride the Airport Shuttle (Flygbussarna) to the Central Station in Malmö. The journey is about 45 minutes.
- Taxi to Malmö:
- From Copenhagen Airport to Malmö City: a regular size taxi costs about 800 - 1000 SEK
- From Malmö Airport to Malmö City: regular size taxi costs about 400 - 500 SEK.
- In the city center the costs are not more than 100 SEK on fixed meter. Be sure to ask for a fixed price before initiating the trip.
The World Maritime University is centrally located and there are several hotels within walking distance of the University.
For the conference, WMU has set up special codes for registered participants for the conference at the corporate hotels in Malmö:
- Elite Hotels Discount codes, for 12 % discount
- Clarion Hotels: Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to get the special code for 12% discount for following
Please take note of the following:
- Lunch & coffee will be provided for the 2 conference days.
- Any accommodation or extra services at the hotel shall be borne by the guests.
GETTING AROUND IN MALMÖ
General Information about Malmö
For tourist information about Malmö and its surroundings, please visit the following websites:
- City of Malmö: Link to Malmö Stad here
- Visit Sweden: Link to Visit Sweden here
- Visit Skåne: Link to Visit Skåne here
Time Zone & Climate:
Malmö Time is 1 hour before Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+1), under CEST (Central European Standard Time). Further information on time conversion can be found here. In southern Sweden, autumn is quite pleasant but can be windy. In October, the average day temperature is 12°C.
Transportation in Malmö is mainly with Taxi, Bus Service and Train. Central Station is the closest train stop, and main bus stop, to WMU. Please note that all tickets for train and bus travel must be purchased before boarding as cash is not accepted on buses or trains. Information in English about local bus and train travel can be found here. There is a taxi stand outside Central Station if needed although WMU and most hotels are within reasonable walking distance.
Currency & Bank Services:
The official currency in Sweden is krona, abbreviated as SEK. Please find exact and updated EX Rate Here. Please be informed that a number of restaurants and shops have become cash-free and take only credit or debit cards.
When traveling to Sweden, it's important to remember that the electrical outlets used in this Scandinavian country are different from those used in the United States. Sweden uses the Europlug (Type C and F) for electricity, which has two round prongs and outputs 230 volts of power.
The emergency contact for the Police, Ambulance and Fire Department is 112.
Business & Shopping Hours:
Most businesses generally open from 09:00 to 18:00 CEST. However, some shopping malls operate until later during the evening. Delegates who wish to shop may seek advice from their hotels on the nearest shopping facilities.
Enter your text here...